Hey everyone, Kevin here, the newest member of the Storitz team. Recently, we attended the Self Storage Association’s Las Vegas Conference. As the newbie here at Storitz, I was not sure what to expect from the experience. Here are the top 5 most surprising observations I made at the conference.
1) The world of self-storage is huge! I was amazed by just how large the conference was. The trade-show hall at Caesar’s Palace was packed with all kinds of booths, exhibits, and tables. As soon as the conference began, there were hundreds of people filling the hall. This was good news for the Storitz booth, as I could not even keep track of all the people coming by to visit.
2) There were people from all over the country, and the world! I met self-storage enthusiasts from coast to coast across the United States. It was interesting to hear many of the similarities and differences in the self-storage that exist from place to place. I even met business owners from outside the United States. I got chance to meet several business owners from Canada and even one from Japan!
3) There are so many different aspects of the self-storage industry! From operating a facility to developing storage software, there are a million ways to get involved in the self-storage industry. I was able to learn so much by discussing the industry with other attendees. The SSA conference gives you access to all the experts, making there no better place to learn everything about self-storage.
4) The food was great! To be honest, I did not expect this to be among the highlights of the conference before we got there. However, I could not have been more wrong. From the delicious roast beef sandwiches at lunch to the chicken tikka satay at the reception, I found myself going back for more delicious food at every opportunity.
5) Las Vegas was a great conference location! I had always imagined Las Vegas as a place where everything got done, except for work. However, the bright lights and social environment really had a positive effect on the conference. The SSA sponsored cocktail events utilized the Vegas atmosphere to create a fun setting in which to mingle with others in the self-storage industry.
Can’t wait until next year’s conference. Stay tuned.