It was a busy week in the self storage news cycle with everything from dog nappings to burglaries to epic conflagrations! Check it out:
- A woman was visiting her last week when her shih-tzu jumped out of her car and was snatched by a man in an SUV. It was not immediately clear if this was in fact a dog-napping or if the man just thought the $500 pet was a stray.
- Police were called last week when a man found what he thought to be a grenade in his father’s . It turned out to be just a shell without primer powder or explosives inside and as such, posed no threat. storage unit
- Police in Westminster, CA have recovered a trove of stolen items believed to be the product of a rash of storage unit burglaries in that area. They will be displaying the property, which includes tools, furniture, antiques, clothing and appliances, will be on display tomorrow at Carr Towing in Westminster.
- A thief in Moultrie, GA cut the lock on a storage unit and stole 4 televisions a computer and a set of rims. The property has an estimated value of $8,400. Yeah, no, FOUR televisions.
- A man died over the weekend while sleeping in a van inside his Dallas-area storage unit when a fire started inside the van. Rescuers were unable to reach him in time.
- Luckily no one was injured and no structural damage was done to a New York storage facility when an industrial mulch pile behind the facility caught fire this morning. The cause of the fire is thought to be spontaneous combustion. Wild.
- Finally, after much negotiation and heartfelt appeals from the family of deceased Marine Sergeant Jeannette Winters, her personal effects, including her birth certificate and funeral flag were returned to her family. The effects had been purchased at a storage until auction by Mark Perko 4 years ago after Winters’ father fell behind in payments. Sgt. Winters was the first servicewoman to die in in war in Afghanistan when her plane crashed in Pakistan.