Fire, firearms and…chrysanthemums? Self storage is a wacky business.
- Between 40 and 50 storage units were damaged or destroyed by fire in Greensburg, Indiana last Monday, WISHTV is reporting. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. (via WISHTV)
- Jonathan Shaw, a New York City tattoo artist and son of legendary band-leader Artie Shaw was arrested last week after movers found an enormous stash of weapons among the belongings he was having moved from his storage unit at Manhattan Mini Storage to California. Among the weapons were an AK-47 assault rifle, a shotgun and almost 100 knives. Shaw is being charged with two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, 113 counts of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, one count of possession of a shot gun, one count of unlawful possession of ammunition and one count of possession of air pistols and air rifle. He was released on bail. (via NYPost)
- In a similar, if less glamorous story, police in Richmond Hill, Canada seized hundreds of stolen guns from a storage unit last week. The cache included 13 long guns, 22 handguns and 6000 rounds of ammo. (via citytv)
- A little less seriously, police in Lowell, Arkansas are looking for a man who was caught on surveillance cameras stealing flower pots from Arkansas Self Storage. The pots are apparently worth $200 each. You can see the video here. It is exactly as thrilling as it sounds. (via KFSM)
- And in Good News, Tacoma Self Storage in Washington state has been nominated to the National Register of Historic Places. The building, which was first erected in 1887 as a cold-storage plant, was converted to self-storage in 2004 and has 652 climate-controlled (duh!) units and RV parking. (via ISS)